Monday Morning Learning – 5 October 2020
Published on 09 Oct '20
Facebook Announces Integration of Messenger and Instagram Direct, Adds New Messaging Features
Facebook has taken the next big step in its messaging integration plan by announcing new cross-messaging functionality that will link Messenger and Instagram Direct, in various ways. You can cross message from Messenger and Instagram, and you’ll be able to see your Messenger threads in Instagram Direct. But your existing Instagram messages and call details will only be available on Instagram, at least at this point.
Other new elements:
- Selfie stickers – Animated stickers that are “a unique hybrid of Boomerang, emojis, and selfies”, and provide a new way to react to conversations.
- Watch together – Instagram users will also now be able to join Watch Together video co-watching parties via Messenger. The new integration will also enable Watch Together parties focused on IGTV and Reels content
- Vanish Mode – enable users to send messages that automatically disappear after they’re seen
- Chat colours, Custom emoji reactions, and Message controls
How to Run an Effective Giveaway Campaign on Instagram
A follower ‘loop’ is a process that has been devised to maximize post reach.
90% of the time the followers gained via loop giveaways are not high-quality followers who will stick around for your content and engage with your profile long term. There’s a generally large drop off rate, typically 50% or more, at the conclusion of a loop process. If your only goal is to generate followers, then it might be a good mechanism, but for the far majority of businesses, loops won’t work well as a growth strategy.
Here’s a sample giveaway strategy that you can use:
- Pick a niche prize that your audience will love – As noted, targeting your specific target audience will attract a more focused audience subset
- Promote your giveaway across your social media following and email list – Getting more people interested will further boost exposure for your campaign
- Run Instagram advertisements for your giveaway – Retargeting your own audience will help to boost exposure among those already interested in your products while utilizing Lookalike Audiences will help you gain new, like-minded followers
- Leverage micro-influencers with similar audience – Collaborate and do a mini-giveaway with each micro-influencer, so they help promote your larger giveaway, again among targeted, interested groups
- Utilize entrant data – After your giveaway ends, you can run a retargeting campaign offering a free gift to followers who sign-up to your email list
Laneige Makes Use of IG Filter for Foundation Launch
During a period where it’s difficult for users to purchase foundation (due to no testers allowed at various stores because of COVID19, Laneige has cleverly made use of an IG Filter to allow for users to choose a foundation that may match their skin tone.
Key Highlights from Facebook’s Annual Communities Summit
- 1.8 billion people in groups
- 70 million moderators
- Admin assist available to make it easier for moderators
- Topics within groups will be searchable via hashtags
- Certification for Community Management now available
- Facebook is also experimenting with an in-group hashtag challenge, similar to TikTok, to boost in-group engagement
- Chats will be added as a feature to groups to boost real-time interactions. They have several mini-features such as stickers, Q&A prompts, etc
- Groups will be easier to discover moving forward
Facebook’s Removing its 28-Day Attribution Model for Conversions from Ads
Facebook has announced that it’s removing its 28-day attribution window option for Facebook ads, which will mean that advertisers will no longer be able to track direct actions based on their campaigns over a longer period. It will be reduced to 7 days and will take effect on 12 Oct.